Sunday, February 7, 2010

A new art purchase this year

In December I got my beautiful wife to agree to take down the terrible painting of the girl who appears to have some kind of impossibly curved spine. This means I get to buy something to put in its place.

I've been researching furiously, setting criteria in place.

What we buy should be either

1. local (Ireland = local for our purposes) or local to where I'm from.
2. by a LGBTQ artist
3. by someone known to us

So I've been surfing all around looking at Irish artists, Maritime Canadian artists and gay artists in general.

We've only purchased one print and that was last year -- by a gay artist, Noah Grey.

Other than that, we have in our home Spintal Curviture Woman and the Painting I Will Never Be Rid Of (because grandfather-in-law gave it to us) titled "Lady in Purple" or as it is known here, Insipid Woman.

It's the beginning of our search. We don't have a lot of money, so it won't be someone well known, but it will be meaningful. So yeah, the search starts now.

Suggestions?

4 comments:

Martyn Clark said...

If you like any of the photos I have online (martynclark.com), I'd happily print one or two for you... I've just started selling them (fine art prints on cotton rag, retail price £295). I'd do them at cost price, but only if there's one you really love... There are a lot more that I need to get online - am wanting to put an online store together...

feral geographer said...

Hi Any Dream Will Do,

I'm feral geographer and I blog at http://www.feralgeographer.wordpress.com. Along with Mae Callen of Driving Fast on Loose Gravel (http://maecallen.blogspot.com), I'm working on creating an active blogroll of queer blogs from Canada and/or by Canadians. The project is called Queer Canada Blogs (http://queercanadablogs.blogspot.com), and we've added your blog!
Please check it out and let us know if you have any suggestions for other blogs we can add.

Thanks!
feral geographer

(Feel free to delete this comment... I just wanted to contact you, and couldn't find an email address!)

SeanBoyle said...

Hey There i really find your blogs interesting i'm currently working on a project for anti-homosexuality project in Glasgow Scotland and will be making a short film out of it and i just randomly came across your blog pahe and you've helped me alot with my research im also on this posting blogs about films would be great if you followed me

http://seanboyle-life.blogspot.com/

evelyn said...

eileen healy a cork artist with the back water studio in cork city is my favourite artist - she paints female portraits in an amazing way. i don't know her personally and i just came across your article on gaelick about SCOTT! Madness. Anyway here's her page www.eileenhealy.net/art/pages/images1.html. TO be honest the images on the site do not do justice to them in real life. Anyway enjoy.