Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why the Outrage Gives me Hope

Just a quick note really.

I'm not a sports-type person. Except for ice hockey, which is a constitutional requirement as a Canadian citizen, I really don't bother watching sports.

Last night I kissed my wife and said, "See you in a couple hours". I put on my earphones and proceeded to twitter and YouTube and work on a two page cat agility article. You don't want to know about this.

But then it happened. Ireland scored. France scored. It was getting exciting, so without revealing my interest, I started to listen a little bit. I'm afraid that if I reveal my interest, I'll lose my leverage I gain from "letting" her watch her sports.

But then it all went really truly wrong.



And while I don't understand much about the game, I know he cheated. I have no opinion on whether or not it was intentional, and to be honest, it's irrelevant.

What is relevant is that sports are meant to showcase the best of us. It's supposed to be where we see our best and strongest, working their hardest and being good sports... win or lose.

The outrage I have seen (from French, English, Spanish, Irish, Catalan, etc people) has cheered me to no end. The very fact that France's win left such a sour taste in the mouths of so many affirms my belief (in my better moments) that people really are intrinsically good and fair.

Whether anything ever comes of this, I'm delighted to have witnessed that people really do care about fairness and justice after all.

Now, if we could only harness that outrage for something other than football.

No comments: