Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I just realised

That my very first post mentioning the amazing Rachel Maddow is all crappy and negative.

To counter that, this post will be my adoring, fawning ode to the cocktail shaking, Rhodes Scholar, AIDS activist butch with her awesome footwear choices.


First, I'll have to get all negative again and say I'm not a huge fan of the debutching of Maddow. Her MSNBC appearance reminds butch lesbians at every turn that they are not attractive enough in their own right, and that biology is indeed, destiny, regardless of brains, personality and a Rhodes Scholarship.

But before the makeup people have put sea-green eyeshadow on her eyelids and pale sixties-style lip gloss on her lips, she's brainy butchy sexy.

But most importantly, she's got smart things to say. And she says them well.

And while her critics may be sometimes right, that she takes the easy shots and sometimes fails to dig below the surface... and sometimes takes stuff out of context when it's pretty damn obvious what was meant, her investigations into fake grassroots organisations ("astroturf") and her interviews with liberals and conservatives alike are the stuff of great television. It's amazing to finally have a real queer, feminist liberal on television -- warts and all. Because at the end of the day, we liberals are ourselves -- our greatest credit and failing at the same time.

That said, I'm not sure the level of discourse I'm seeking is possible on a 5-night a week show. Rachel certainly has raised the bar.

And I can stop explaining now, because this youtube video will convince you as much as anything I can think of to say:



*swoon*

No comments: