Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Ubuntu Install stuff

I'm really just publishing this for my own reference, but it may help someone else!

I just reinstalled Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 (just to get a larger partition) and had forgotten all the tweaking I'd done when I installed it the first time... so in case I'm doing it again, I decided to keep a record of what I have to do, and where to find the tutorials!

My Spec:

Dell XPS 1330

Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Nvidia 8400 graphics card, Dell 1505 draft-n wireless card.
Dual boot Vista/Ubuntu, networked to my home PC in a workgroup with Windows XP.

First thing, I had to get my wireless working with Ndiswrapper. Although I've found articles out there about my own wireless card, they haven't worked for me. This does, even though it's for a completely different card. I even tried it with updated drivers and it didn't work. It works exactly as written.

Second, those pink shadows had to go. It's an issue with the Nvidia drivers apparently. But I just don't do pink! The workaround is here.

Third, I have to network my home PC so I can access all my multimedia on my external HD. Download Samba with Synaptic Package Manager. Go to terminal:

sudo /etc/samba/smb.conf

edit workgroup name to match the XP machine. save.

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Wait a few minutes, then I should be able to browse the workgroup again.

That's it so far.

No comments: