Monday, March 31, 2008

I'm not a homophobe, but...



Janet's Blog: Speaking the Truth

Ah, the old "I'm not a homophobe, but..." speech. It never gets old, does it?

You know what, Melissa and Tammy know they cannot have children that are biologically from both of them (because they're not total morons). And because the US is controlled by fanatical religious zealots (as is the country I now call home), they are well aware their relationship is not legally a marriage.

Now, I'm not unbiased. To me, Melissa is like an old friend... her music has been there through the roughest and best times of my life. Not only that, but she is a model of sanity in "celebrityworld" of all places. When she and Julie Cypher split, they did everything they could to make things easiest on the kids... they even bought houses that shared a yard, so the kids could run back and forth between homes. Then you see the Britney Spears' and Kerry Katonas of the world, doing everything they can for themselves. Not that I have anything against heterosexuals, the point is that whether you have an inny or an outy (or which your partner has) is no litmus test for morality, goodness, faith or salvation.

But it's the comparison this Janet makes between two women and Pharisees that boggles my mind. Are right-wing Christians so blind?

Princeton wordnet defines Pharisee as "a self-righteous or sanctimonious person". Melissa and Tammy are far from either. Melissa's autobiography reads like a confession of sorts and she never speaks of anyone with malice or anything approaching self-righteousness. Her motto, well known to her fans, is "Be Strong, Speak True and Spread the Peace." Not exactly something Jesus would have objected to.

As an ex-fundamentalist and reformed heterosexual I know that I was taught this stuff, but even then people who spoke like this always seemed so far from God. I couldn't understand what they found attractive about Christianity at all. One of the most Christ-like people I ever met was Buddhist, and I think my split from fundamentalism happened with that realisation.

At the end of the day, Janet Cassidy comes across as the Pharisee, not Melissa or Tammy. Honestly, Janet, if you have to preface your statement with "I'm not being mean or uncharitable, but" then the statement is obviously mean AND uncharitable and you know it. The truth is that religious zealots cannot stand Melissa Etheridge because she is good and honest. They prefer the promiscuous, scandal-laden homos who give them fodder for their hate speech and propaganda.

This I know: Jesus would hang out with Melissa and Tammy long before he'd darken the door of Janet Cassidy's temple of self-righteousness.

(told ya there'd be rants!)

No comments: